We are pleased to announce the call for proposals for The 10th International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Applied Linguistics and Professional Practice (ALAPP) that will be hosted by Centre for Academic and Professional Communication (SEKOM), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
ALAPP aims to bring together scholars from different disciplinary backgrounds, especially language and communication research and professional domains (e.g. business, organization studies, education, banking, health care, therapy, journalism, law, social care and welfare, immigration and border control, police work, translation and interpreting) to share ideas and discuss innovations and interventions.
The ALAPP Masterclass is scheduled on 15 September 2020.
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 1 March 2020
Professor Karin Aronsson, Stockholm University, Sweden
Professor Jamina Napier, Heriot-Watt University, UK
Professor Daniel Perrin, ZHAW Zurich University, Switzerland
ALAPP 2020 is open to proposals that broadly fall within the scope of Applied Linguistics and Professional Practice Studies. Special themes include:
- Language, communication and the professions
- Institutions and professions
- Expertise and professional practice
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in professional contexts
- Multimodality in professional practice
- Professional practice, discourse and the new media
- Ethics and professional practice
- Interpreting and translation in institutional/professional settings
- Language awareness and reflexivity in the professions
- Communication training for professionals
- Professional practice and communication in the age of globalization
- Research Methodologies
- Collaborative research across professional boundaries
- Challenges in communicating research findings
The submission for proposals opens on 13 December 2019
For all submissions, clearly indicate:
- Abstract title, author names, and full institutional affiliations of the responsible (presenting) author and collaborating authors.
- Contact e-mail address and phone number for the responsible authors
- Up to three conference themes (feel free to indicate themes beyond the list above).
Proposals may include panels, individual oral/poster presentations and work-in- progress.
Panels should address a common theme, content or methodological area, and will be scheduled for 90 minutes or multiples of 90 minutes.
In addition to individual proposals (no more than 250 words each), please also submit an overview description of no more than 300 words highlighting the panel’s content and objectives. Provide information about the panel members and the coordinator, stating full institutional affiliations and e-mail addresses.
2) INDIVIDUAL ORAL/POSTER PRESENTATIONS
Proposals for individual papers (no more than 250 words) must clearly indicate a preference for oral or poster presentation. Following the peer review process, the organisers will determine whether a proposal is selected for oral or poster presentation. Poster presenters must be physically present to discuss their work during the dedicated sessions. Oral presentations will be allocated 30 minutes (20 minutes for presentation + 10 minutes for discussion).
Proposals for work-in-progress should be no more than 250 words targeted at oral presentation. Individual presentations will be allocated 30 minutes (15 minutes for presentation + 15 minutes for discussion). This format is particularly suitable for early career researchers pursuing doctoral and postdoctoral studies and for experienced researchers undertaking/planning pilot projects or interested in reporting preliminary results. Please indicate clearly if your proposal falls into this category.
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 1 March 2020
PROPOSAL SELECTION CRITERIA
All proposals, except panel proposals, undergo adouble blind peer-review process. The reviewers will have access to the names of panel coordinators and the panellists.
Please note that the ALAPP conference policy allows only one oral presentation per author. You may choose to submit more than one proposal, but normally only one proposal will be accepted for oral presentation. Any additional accepted proposals may be presented as poster(s).
There is no fixed template for writing proposals but authors are urged to consider the following criteria which will form the basis for peer review:
- originality of the topic and its relevance to the conference
- background contextualisation of the study
- relationship between title and content
- structural organisation
- theoretical/methodological appropriateness
- clarity of claims and relevance
Individual panels are reviewed in their entirety on the above criteria but also on the basis of their relevance to broader issues in applied linguistics and professional practice; the overall coherence of the proposal; and the usefulness of the panel to participants.
Decisions about acceptance/rejection will be communicated by 1 April 2020. Following formal acceptance, the responsible (presenting) authors must register participation prior to the finalisation of the conference programme. Early registration opens on 6 April 2020.
Local Organizing Committee:
Heidi Gilstad, Gøril Thomassen Hammerstad and Anna-Lena Nilsson
ALAPP Founding Advisor:
Srikant Sarangi, Aalborg